Monday, February 13, 2012

Nuke Balancing

I had some feedback from the last testing that the nukes were too powerful. Alone they aren't so bad, but when stacked with other powerups its easy to get stuck letting the timer tick down and if you stumble on a nuke you had not seen spawn you could be unfairly hit. I've done a few things to make nukes a bit more manageable.

First, nukes now have a much smaller blast radius. It is still extremely large, but if you give yourself enough time to run you can run away instead of having to shoot. Second, as suggested by the feedback, the nukes are now affected by your laser velocity. That means when you shoot the nuke it will start drifting in the direction you are hitting it at. This is useful if you have a low countdown timer, because you can shoot a few shots to push it away and then run in the opposite direction to avoid the blast. The push isn't incredibly strong, so if you want to destroy it and send the nuke back you won't have to chase it too far.

click to view


Also in response to the last update, here are some changes I've made. This is still not necessarily what the final version will look like:

click to view

3 comments:

  1. The log-in page is look pretty slick, and everything you've done so far is pretty good cannot lie, we are forever in debt to you aha. Really looking forward to seeing the lay out of the main screen and what not, nice work!

    - Whishy

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the nukes, maybe you might want to remind players that nukes can be Insta-killed by shooting a powerup into it. I understand that pushing nukes is a thing from Wormhole, and I don't mind that it's in. I guess I'll see how things go before I comment on it more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sudz: I agree I definitely need to find a way to show that powerups can also be used as a weapon. This is extremely useful for advanced players, but at the same time I still want to give some options to beginners who may not understand this concept. Shooting the nuke doesn't give it an very strong push, so it shouldn't be used as a primary defense against the nukes, but the option is still there if you don't have time to kill it or have a spare powerup.

    Whishy: I really appreciate the compliments, glad to know you guys like how this is turning out.

    ReplyDelete